Sunday, October 23, 2011


Well, it's Sunday and the end of another busy week. This also means for me, time to start next week's meal plan.

The first thing I consider when making a meal plan is time. What activities do we have on a particular evening? How much time do I have to prepare during the day, or in some cases, the night before. I know next week, the kids have activities Tuesday morning, Wednesday and Thursday nights and sometime on Saturday which hasn't been annouced yet.

One of the meals I plan to make next week requires leftover cooked chicken.

So, what's for dinner tonight?

Slow Cooker Roast Chicken & Roasted Root Vegetables

I have a fryer chicken in the freezer and a few potatoes, carrots and turnip left from the stew I made this week. The chicken I bought is something new from a local producer, it's a Ginseng Fed chicken.

The best way, that I found to cook a whole chicken in the slow cooker is a two-step process. First, cook the chicken on high 4-5 hours in the slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and add a little water in the bottom. Second, to crisp up the skin, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and place on a baking sheet lined with foil (for easy clean up) rub with a little butter and whatever herbs you like. We like sage, parsley and summer savoury. Bake at 350F for about 20-25 minutes.

After dinner, I'll remove the remaining meat from the bird and place in a resealable container in the fridge so I can use it later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment