Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Creating a Meal Plan

Hello and welcome.

You've heard it a hundred time... "Hey Mom! What's for dinner?" and I'm here to help answer that question.

I'm a busy mom, just like all the other moms. I have 2 small boys, a husband, a house and all the joys that go with it (grocery shopping, cleaning, laundry). I drive the kids back and forth from school, swimming lessons, soccer, football, piano lessons, homework. Just a regular mom.

I have to tell you, what makes my life easier when it comes to answering that eternal question "What's for dinner?" is having a plan.

Nowadays, it's easy to grab a processed pre-prepared meal or hit the drive thru on the way home from work, but I'm here to tell you it doesn't have to be that way. You can make healthy meals at home for a fraction of the cost and all it takes is a plan. Now, I have been know on occasion to "make" chicken fingers, or grab a frozen pizza from the freezer. But this is an exception rather than the rule.

As part of this blog, not only will I share my own meal plan and the recipes I use, but will share tips on creating a meal plan for your own family. Say good bye to the teenager in the drive-thru and the frozen TV dinners. You won't be seeing them for a while.

So what's for dinner tonight? Chicken Fajitas

Now, in the summertime I do make by own fajitas, where I marinate the meat, grill it and grill the vegetables. Well, it's October and my oldest son has a football game that will end at 5:30. So, I'm using a shortcut. It may seem contradictary to use a fajita kit and reducing the amount of pre-processed meals. To that, I have 2 answers. Number one: I won't really classify it as a pre-processed meal, as I am adding all my own meat and vegetables. Number two: I am a great believe in the 80/20 rule. If we do the right thing 80% of the time, then the other 20% we can be a little bad. (Just a little)

Now, because we won't be home until 6:00; and my boys (being 7 & 4) go to bed fairly early, I want as much of the prep done before we leave for the football field. I will grate the cheese, slice the vegetables, even slice the meat. If I have time, I may even make my Jalapeno Pesto.

When we get home, all we have to do is heat everything up in a skillet and eat.

Jalapeno Pesto:
In a food processor, add
1 bunch fresh cilanto
1 clove of garlic
1 jalapeno pepper
1 tbsp lime juice
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese

Buzz the mixture for a few seconds, and while the food processor is running drizzle in about 1/4 c of olive oil, or enough to reach your desired consistacy.

Scoop the pesto into a mason jar or small resealable container. This will keep in the fridge for at least a couple weeks. It is great on steaks, steak sandwiches, burgers and of course, fajitas!

No comments:

Post a Comment